Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Thank You, Sunshine

I haven't seen much of the sun lately because it rises shortly before I leave for work and sets when I am usually on my way home. During this dark time of year, I really appreciate looking at my photographs from the warmer, sunnier months.

I did hospice work many years ago and remember a patient expressing sadness because she would not live long enough to see the flowers bloom one more time in the spring. Having developed such an intense connection this year with the flowers, water lilies, dragonflies, herons, beavers, and my favorite cottonwood tree, I can really understand now what she was talking about. Although every season has a unique quality and beauty of its own - particularly if we stop for a moment and allow ourselves to connect with it - I have a case of kayak withdrawal, and my heart longs for the warmer months when I can riverbliss in my kayak and need not be content to sit at the water's edge. I still find peace sitting by the water, but it is quiet now except for the calls of some geese in the distance. The cold months do arrive bearing gifts, including colorful sunrises, interesting ice and frost formations, and snow-covered trees and fields glistening in the moonlight. I also look forward to focusing on astrophotography by the river under clear winter skies.

Nearly a decade ago, my husband wrote the song "Thank You, Sunshine" in honor of the Winter Solstice and recorded it with his band, The Zucchini Brothers. Over the weekend, I was inspired to create a video pairing the song with many of my still photos of the sun and sunlight. I offer it as a reminder that soon the sun will begin its journey back in our direction! (For best quality, view in HD.)



If video doesn't play, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTPC5Mdqc88&feature=plcp

May your day be filled with blessings and light!



*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

© Susan Meyer and River Bliss, 2012-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material, including all photos, without express and written permission from this blog’s author/owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Susan Meyer and River Bliss (www.riverblissed.blogspot.com) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment