Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Willow Tree Happy Hour

Every day offers something new to fall in love with. For a while now, I've been smitten with willows. I have watched their hippie hair change from light auburn to golden, to golden green embellished with millions of tiny, bright green bows and ribbons. The flexible branches are what I love most about willow trees. They dance so gracefully with the wind, not fighting or resisting but allowing.

I wasn't able to get over the way two willow trees looked a couple evenings ago during the golden hour. If my mother hadn't been in the car at the time, I would have stopped right then to photograph them. Instead, I admired them out loud and glanced at the clock to note the exact time when the sun's kiss enchanted the willows. I hoped the conditions would be similar the following evening, and planned to return.

Throughout the next day, I thought of the sun-kissed willows and hoped I would be so fortunate again. After eating dinner, they beckoned, calling: NOW! Come see us play with the wind and sun! So I went.

This is my happy hour - the time I look forward to every day, when I go in search of magic moments in nature. The first stop on my expedition was (of course) the willow trees blowing in the wind in front of a sky canvas that was even more vibrant than the previous evening.



En route to the willows, I noticed a maple tree with sunlit leaves in front of an old church - so that was my next stop.


It happened to be exactly 6:00 when I got out of my car in front of the church, and the church bells serenaded me the whole time I was on the lawn taking pictures. This was the most magical moment of the evening. When the sun went behind a cloud and altered the lighting, I decided to head back to the car - and just then, the music stopped!

Wanting to see mountains and big sky, I took the long way home.



Then I stopped to smell the flowers


...and returned home, my battery charged and humming with willow and flower power.

This evening, I was drawn to willows once again.



I expect to be fascinated with willows until I have learned what they have to teach me.

And then something new and just as wonderful will catch my eye.

---------------------------
The photographs in this blog and in my Flickr photostream are available for purchase as prints or cards through my Etsy shop by selecting a "custom print" in whatever size you prefer and indicating either the name of the print or the blog post and order in which it appears. 

© Susan Meyer and River Bliss Photography, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material, including all text and photos, without express and written permission from this blog’s author/owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Susan Meyer and River Bliss Photography (www.riverblissed.blogspot.com) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

No comments:

Post a Comment